Helping ports to reduce their environmental impacts and deliver sustainable growth
The environmental impacts of shipping present considerable challenges to port owners around the world. As global trade expands, levels of shipping activity are forecast to rise significantly, leading to increasing environmental challenges and associated adverse health impacts at and around ports and coastal locations.
The environmental impacts of ports generally fall into three categories:
- Problems caused by general port activity.
- Problems caused by ships calling at a port.
- Environmental impacts associated with intermodal transport networks serving ports.
Ricardo has been working with port owners and operators for decades to help them understand their environmental impacts. Through our work, we have developed an in-depth understanding of the unique challenges that ports face and are ideally placed to help them manage these.
Our expertise includes:
- Port operations and their environmental impacts.
- Environmental and sustainability advice to maritime operations.
- Marine engine technologies.
- Development of environmental modelling and assessment of mitigation scenarios.
- Pollution measurements to help build the pollution evidence base and track the impact of mitigation measures.
- Utility usage modelling and optimisation of waste management to control costs.
View selection of related case studies here.