Hydrogen Transport Programme (HTP)
The Hydrogen for Transport Programme (HTP) sets out the next steps to develop the UK hydrogen vehicle market, providing up to £23m of new grant funding until 2020 to support the growth of refuelling infrastructure alongside the deployment of new vehicles.
The HTP was launched on 17 August 2017 by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) to provide funding via open competition for both Hydrogen Refuelling Stations (HRS) and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in two stages;
The first stage 1 awarded £8.8 million to a project that will bring nearly 200 new hydrogen powered vehicles to the UK alongside additional HRS as well as upgrades to existing infrastructure. For more information, see the Department for Transport Stage 1 funding announcement; press release.
Stage 2 will commit up to £14m to fund up to ten HRSs plus associated fleets. The timetable of activities for Stage 2 is:
- 13 August 2018, stage 2 application window opens.
- 19 September 2018, stakeholder webinar.
- The HTP Project team will host a webinar to allow potential applicants to directly ask questions.
- 05 November 2018, application deadline date.
- On this date, all applicants must have submitted their full application electronically by 9am (full details of submission requirements will be available within guidance documents).
The funding will allow additional larger capacity HRS to be built, whilst optimising the utilisation of these and existing stations by providing funding to support the purchase of vehicle fleets that can be refuelled at all HRS.
The overarching objectives of the Hydrogen for Transport Programme remain unchanged for Stage 2 of the scheme;
Objectives will be met within a framework designed to offer the best Value for Money to the Government and hence to the UK taxpayer.
The size and placement of the stations will be carefully considered, and also;
- The strength of the links that new stations have with the fleets to be operated,
- The likelihood – and ease – of other vehicles using the new stations, and
- How much hydrogen the vehicles will use and how regular the demand will be.
The ability to increase hydrogen capacity and number of dispensers will be taken into account, as will the cost and environmental footprint of the hydrogen.
Stage 2 timeline:
How to apply
The application form and guidance document can be downloaded from the links below:
Alternatively, you can email HTPGrants@ricardo.com to register your interest and request the forms.
Please email HTPGrants@ricardo.com if you have any questions when filling in your application to the programme. Any questions and responses that are also relevant to other potential applicants will be added to the FAQ document available above.