Expert witness services for commercial disputes, insurance claims and criminal cases
Ricardo’s senior specialists provide expert opinion and witness services in commercial and contractual disputes, insurance claims, criminal cases, and public and planning inquiries.
Expert capability is founded in the extensive experience and diverse backgrounds of our senior specialists in waste, energy, water and air quality including:
- Commercial and regulatory due diligence.
- Waste management and energy generation operations.
- Site-based engineering.
- Testing, auditing and certification.
- First-hand regulatory and enforcement experience.
Our recognised experts can provide you and your clients with a comprehensive service and robust expert opinion, founded on our direct experience in regulation, industry and policy. Our experts, are supported by over 400 in-house specialists in waste management, water, air, environmental quality and renewable energy. We have already helped many companies with our expertise in commercial and criminal matters, including:
- Contract disputes and insurance claims relating to the construction and performance of multiple large scale PFI-funded waste management facilities.
- Court attendance, adjudications and alternative dispute resolution.
- Prosecutions by the Environment Agency and other national regulators.
- Alleged breaches of permits and environmental legislation, including Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the waste duty of care code of practice.
- International shipments of waste, including alleged illegal (contaminated) waste shipments of glass and paper, with successful outcomes.
- Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) claims.
- Air quality, health impacts, odour and environmental impact assessment, and public inquiries.
- Waste treatment technology performance, including energy from waste, combined heat and power, gasification, anaerobic digestion, composting and mechanical treatment.
- Definition of waste and end of waste.
- Alleged large scale packaging recovery note (PRN) fraud.
- Expert opinion on the eligibility of specific wastes for renewable energy incentives, with a successful outcome with the energy regulator.
- Biomass energy generation and assessment of design and actual boiler performance.
- Alleged supply of siloxane contaminated anaerobic digestion feedstock and damage to gas engines.
- Waste sampling, classification, quality and composition assessment, and quantification.
- Assessment of potential harm.
- Pre-action advice to mitigate against prosecution.
More details of the experience of a number of our senior experts can be found on