Expert witness services for commercial disputes, insurance claims & criminal cases
Ricardo’s senior specialists provide expert opinion and witness services in commercial and contractual disputes, insurance claims, criminal cases, and public and planning inquiries.
Expert capability is founded in the extensive experience and diverse backgrounds of our senior specialists in waste, energy, water and air quality including:
- Commercial and regulatory due diligence.
- Waste management and energy generation operations.
- Site-based engineering.
- Testing, auditing and certification.
- First-hand regulatory and enforcement experience.
- Chemical risk management.
Meet the team
Our recognised experts can provide you and your clients with a comprehensive service and robust expert opinion, founded on our direct experience in regulation, industry and policy. Our experts, are supported by over 400 in-house specialists in waste management, water, air, environmental quality and renewable energy. We have already helped many companies with our expertise in commercial and criminal matters, including:
- Contract disputes and insurance claims relating to the construction and performance of multiple large scale PFI-funded waste management facilities.
- Court attendance, adjudications and alternative dispute resolution.
- Prosecutions by the Environment Agency and other national regulators.
- Alleged breaches of permits and environmental legislation, including Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the waste duty of care code of practice.
- International shipments of waste, including alleged illegal (contaminated) waste shipments of glass and paper, with successful outcomes.
- Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) claims.
- Air quality, health impacts, odour and environmental impact assessment, and public inquiries.
- Waste treatment technology performance, including energy from waste, combined heat and power, gasification, anaerobic digestion, composting and mechanical treatment.
- Definition of waste and end of waste.
- Alleged large scale packaging recovery note (PRN) fraud.
- Expert opinion on the eligibility of specific wastes for renewable energy incentives, with a successful outcome with the energy regulator.
- Biomass energy generation and assessment of design and actual boiler performance.
- Alleged supply of siloxane contaminated anaerobic digestion feedstock and damage to gas engines.
- Waste sampling, classification, quality and composition assessment, and quantification.
- Assessment of potential harm.
- Pre-action advice to mitigate against prosecution.
Areas of expert witness expertise
Leading the UK market, Ricardo’s team of more than 50 waste specialists provide technical, commercial, operational, market and regulatory insight in the waste and resource management sector and waste treatment technologies and infrastructure in particular. We apply our expert knowledge and experience of waste and recycling processes (from feasibility to implementation, through to operations) to commercial and contractual disputes, insurance claims, criminal cases, and public and planning inquiries.
Including those relating to the following:
- energy from waste (EfW) and biomass energy generation technologies;
- combustion (incineration);
- anaerobic digestion (AD);
- advanced conversion technologies (ACT), including gasification, pyrolysis and combination technologies;
- mechanical biological treatment (MBT);
- Composting, including in-vessel composting (IVC);
- materials recovery/recycling facilities (MRF);
- refuse derived fuel (RDF) and solid recovered fuel (SRF) production facilities and export; and
- environmental permitting and compliance with associated waste management and environmental legislation, regulatory guidance and policy.
Ricardo’s experts are instrumental in creating and developing the UK market for renewable energy and CHP technologies and the market incentives. We audit energy schemes and undertake technical due diligence of proposed renewables installations.
AIR QUALITY, WATER & ENVIRONMENT
We offer air pollution advice to governments and businesses; uniquely giving full policy, advisory and implementation services, from our experts in emissions and odour management, monitoring and abatement. We give investment advice to water utilities and provide expert witnesses for water pollution cases.
Ricardo runs the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) supporting the UK emergency services and businesses around the world when chemical incidents occur. We also provide regulatory and compliance advice to the chemicals industry. Our expert chemists and regulatory specialists can provide expert advice in relation to chemical incidents, minimise negative impacts during an incident (through live telephone advice) and assist with post incident review.
Please get in touch using the contact form on this page to find out more about our expert witnesses and how we can help you.
More details of the experience of a number of our senior experts can be found on expertwitness.co.uk and jspubs.com.
Expert witness articles by Ricardo experts
The collision between infrastructure and carbon emissions, Mark Hinnells
What makes a good expert witness in environmental disputes?, Sarah Lovell