Integrated energy resource planning
Latest news: Ricardo supports UK Power Networks' award-winning smart-grid trial
Ricardo has expertise in the business and technical issues involved in connecting renewable and conventional energy technologies into existing energy networks - whether large hydropower schemes, conventional thermal power stations or dispersed generation projects (such as wind farms and biomass-fired plants).
We provide world-leading, smart-grid solutions to optimise connections and network performance. Our power sector planning support includes:
- Least-cost generation expansion planning studies.
- Appraising heat and electricity generation projects from conventional fuels (such as coal and oil) and renewable energy sources (such as wind, hydro, solar and biomass).
- Electricity system planning (generation, transmission and distribution).
- Master planning/integrated resource planning (IRP) studies.
- Supply/demand forecasting (including consideration of demand-side management).
- Power system operations support - generation scheduling, automatic generation control, operating reserves, ancillary services, frequency control, under-frequency load shedding, governor control, technical training and smart grids.
- Energy investment analysis.
- Utility asset planning and optimisation.
- Rural electrification - design of funding and tariff mechanisms, and commercial arrangements.
- Needs-assessment study on energy efficiency proposals in the Southern African Power Pool (SAPP) - reviewing, identifying and prioritising energy efficiency measures to be implemented at a regional level to address capacity constraints.
- Amaila Falls Hydroelectric Project in Guyana - undertaking market due diligence, operational assessment and financial due diligence for a potential investor.
- Eskom power stations in South Africa - this project involved providing training for Eskom engineers on frequency control, voltage control, governor modelling and automatic voltage regulator (AVR) modelling, followed by testing units and developing governor and AVR models for Eskom coal-fired units.