Industrial heat decarbonisation
As industrial companies evaluate their carbon footprint, it is well-known that process heat produced by burning fossil fuels in combustion plant is often the largest contributor of CO2 emissions at production facilities. This presents a significant hurdle to overcome on the journey to net zero.
As the decarbonisation of industrial process heat becomes a priority, more and more companies require technical support in the planning and implementation of strategies to enable them to operate cost effectively whilst achieving their corporate, social, and legislative obligations.
Here at Ricardo we have experts who work directly with industry and can assist you with strategies to decarbonise your industrial process heat:
- Optimising efficiency – get advice on how to reduce waste heat at the source and how to get the most out of every calorie of fuel burnt.
- Fuel switching – find out how you can use your existing equipment to switch to biofuels which are available now, and be prepared for the arrival of hydrogen.
- Carbon capture – get support on a technology that your industrial company can plan for now and which will be a great solution for the medium-term.
- De-steaming - get our expert support to evaluate if your site has the grid capacity around it to enable you to go electric for the production of process heat.
- Blue hydrogen - large scale production of blue hydrogen produces as much carbon as burning natural gas - however if carbon capture is used to produce blue hydrogen, this is another medium-term solution which we can help you explore.
- Green hydrogen - although large scale supply to displace blue hydrogen and natural gas is some way off, green hydrogen is a viable solution that we can help you plan for.
Over the years, we have supported industrial companies on a wide range of heat decarbonisation strategies. Our comprehensive understanding of the production and use of process heat, fuel switching, carbon capture and industrial utilisation technologies as well as in-depth knowledge of the policy and regulatory landscape enables us to support our clients on many fronts.
Heat decarbonisation case studies
Heat decarbonisation plans services
Heat decarbonisation overview
Net zero resources