Get access to our two free webinar recordings for local authorities:
Understanding plastics – helping residents make the right choices
Over 4 million tonnes of plastic waste are generated in the UK every year. David Attenborough’s Blue Planet II and the BBC’s recent #WarOnPlastic programme has put plastic waste at the forefront of the UK public’s mind. These documentaries, and many others which have followed, highlight the environmental and social impacts of our reliance on and mismanagement of plastics. As such residents are increasingly interested in reducing their plastic waste and asking more questions about what happens to their recycling after it is collected. This provides local authorities opportunities to support residents as they make changes.
Prioritising plastic waste prevention can help local authorities to engage residents, implement plastic waste prevention activities at minimal cost and protect the environment. Join us at this webinar to find out what you as a local authority can do to engage, encourage and enable residents to reduce plastic waste.
- Hear from the North London Waste Authority on why it is important to be tackling plastic waste
- Get practical tips and advice, from Ricardo Energy and Environment, on how to support residents and what to consider when planning a plastic waste reduction programme
- See real-world examples of initiatives that have been implemented by other councils to successfully reduce plastic waste
Planning a food waste prevention programme: priorities, actions and monitoring based on Defra’s 4E’s model
We need to reduce the amount of food that we throw away. Wasting less food benefits the environment and our purses both as residents and tax payers.
In London alone, it costs local authorities over £50 million each year to dispose of unwanted food waste - that’s a lot of money which could be spent on improving key services. Prioritising food waste prevention can help local authorities to engage residents, manage expenditure and protect the environment.
Join us at this webinar to find out what you as a local authority can do to engage, encourage and enable residents to reduce food waste.
- Hear from the North London Waste Authority on how they are tackling the issue of food waste and their extensive prevention programme
- Get useful tips and advice on what to consider when planning a food waste reduction programme
- See real-world examples of initiatives that have been implemented by other councils to successfully reduce food waste
- Learn about the different ways you can engage residents
The advice provided at this webinar will be set against Defra’s 4Es model (Enable, Encourage, Engage, Exemplify) which will help you design a programme that ensures a mix of interventions to influence behaviour. More information about Defra's 4Es model is available here: http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/defra-4es-model