In May, EDF published a report authored by Ricardo entitled ‘Sailing on Solar: Could green ammonia decarbonise international shipping?’. The report describes how ammonia produced with surplus renewable electricity could be used as a fuel for ships. The report uses existing scientific data, basic chemistry, engineering knowledge and practical experience to show that green ammonia can – and indeed, should – be adopted as a greenhouse gas-free fuel more easily, quickly and safely than people may assume.
In this webinar, Ricardo presented the main findings of the report, including:
- Development of green ammonia can begin using existing and familiar technologies
- There are established safety protocols for storing and transporting ammonia
- Green ammonia could drive investment in renewables
- Bunkering facilities could be distributed around the world
The webinar concluded with recommendations from EDF on the policy pathways for shippers to adopt alternative fuels, and how EDF is exploring a range of mechanisms to drive down costs without penalising early adopters.
- Tim Scarbrough, Associate Director, Ricardo Energy & Environment
- Nick Ash, Principal Consultant, Ricardo Energy & Environment
- Aoife O’Leary, Senior Legal Manager, Environmental Defense Fund Europe
- Marie Cabbia Hubatova, Research Analyst, Environmental Defense Fund Europe