Our Energy Data Integration System (EDIS) was funded by Innovate UK with the remit described as “Develop a data platform for power and heat usage data with sufficient granularity to identify community trends and individual usage patterns in both domestic and commercial buildings.”
We produced an extremely powerful data manipulation tool that provides rapid intelligence to support decision making, intervention strategies, and business planning.
Our Digital Services team enabled the project officers at local councils to work with their entire housing stock data and quickly target areas of concern such as fuel poverty and energy efficiency. Through the web interface smart filtering capability, users were able to narrow 500,000 data records down to under 15 for some of their intervention strategies, and all within a matter of minutes.
Ricardo's Digital Services team took data sets from multiple divisions within each council, then pulled them together to formulate a coherent and usable database management system to underpin an intuitive user interface that enables users to define criteria that will target their selected initiative.
Ricardo has also demonstrated that its EDIS platform is capable of combining different sets of data within the web tool, it is not just tied to Energy data but can bring insights to any data sets that our clients wish to derive intelligence from.
The tool we have developed provides:
- A diagnostic tool supporting policy design and intervention implementation through an interface that enables the user to quickly and easily pinpoint specific data based on their customised selection of parameters.
- The tool provides energy ‘signature’ maps – showing hot spots for interventions
- Identification of energy consumer types for which energy supplier could provide customer support packages
- Flexible analysis based on tailored data samples according to need (for example the sample could be all schools in a region with the aim of prioritising energy saving investments)
- Understanding of real impacts of interventions over successive years (including rebound effects)
- Flexible integration of wider data sets to explore particular energy demand and supply scenarios or wider issues such as waste generation or water consumption.
Please see further information about how data is used for analysis here http://edis-ricardo.com/