Ricardo has long-standing experience in all forms of capacity building including training workshops, webinars, secondments and self-learning tools. These have covered a broad spectrum of issues across all aspects of strategic city planning, service delivery and environmental issues. This includes technical training on specific areas including air quality, climate change, transportation, energy and waste management, as well as supporting cross-cutting issues of governance, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
We deliver capacity building solutions to city governments and agencies, as well as wider stakeholder groups, developing the necessary skills to enable recipients to apply, in practice, what they learn.
- Training needs assessments – analysing city staff and stakeholder capacity building requirements to develop actionable training plans and strategies.
- Training strategy design and implementation – ensuring capacity building is designed to meet immediate and long-term capacity building objectives.
- Training course design and delivery – ensuring courses are aligned with the training strategy and are suitable for its audience.
- Update workshops on national and international changes in sectoral legislation, policies and tools – based on our experience of working on projects to support policy implementation.
- Institutional strengthening and knowledge transfer programmes.
- Technical training on tools, methods and technical knowledge
- Helping city policy makers with effective decision-making – developing the skills to drive forward new strategies, policies and actions.
- Workshop facilitation.
- Train the trainer programmes and toolkit development.
Examples of our work in this field include:
- City level adaptation strategies – to raise awareness in 21 European cities of the importance of preparing for climate change in cities, share best practice and develop supporting guidance on adaptation.
User training on the Urban Transport Roadmaps scenario building tool - carried out with cities to support the development of Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPS), as part of the annual SUMPS conferences and as online webinars.
EMAQ, a subscription based accredited training programme for city staff on air quality management, emissions monitoring and environmental permitting and contaminated land. The EMAQ training is delivered through both face-to-face seminars and on-line webinars. This backed up by on-line knowledge checks and proficiency assessments for continuing professional development, and a library of technical materials and useful references.
- City GHG inventory and climate action planning training through C40 for city staff and stakeholders, building capacity on data collection, methodologies, international reporting requirements and institutionalisation of systems to support GHG inventory compilation, and using this data to undertake projections and identify climate actions.
- Development of the in-person training programme and technical advisor to the e-learning course for the City Climate Planner Inventory Specialist certification