City climate action planning
Cities and local governments across the world are taking unprecedented steps to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and tackle climate change. From plans to deliver ambitious long-term mitigation goals, to robust adaptation plans, cities can lead on climate action. And they must: to deliver the Paris Agreement, climate action planning at local scales is critical, and cities must shift to new levels of ambition and deliver rapid change. Our experts are supporting many of the worlds fastest growing cities, every step of the way.
Climate action planning includes both the reduction of emissions and reducing vulnerability to the unavoidable impacts, as well as the realising of co-benefits, meeting sustainable development goals and avoiding negative trade-offs and lock-in to unsustainable technologies. We help cities develop their evidence base through our GPC inventory support and understand their resilience through our capacity building on adaptation strategies, to enable them to take the next steps to develop an ambitious and equitable climate action plan.
Our team is experienced in mitigation policy design, implementation and tracking. We can help to:
- Model ‘business-as-usual’ and emission reduction scenarios, identify targets and actions using tools such as the CURB emissions modelling tool and the C40 1.5⁰C Pathways tool, and provide expert support and assessment of data needs
- Construct marginal abatement cost curves and other cost assessment tools.
- Assess co-benefits, including air quality, job creation and energy access.
- Provide sector-specific advice on future trends and mitigation options across all key city sectors
- Assess policy delivery options, advise on design issues, and make recommendations on governance arrangements to ensure delivery of climate action objectives.
Our experts are currently providing such GHG mitigation support as part of a three-year climate action planning programme across 9 cities in Africa, with the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group. We are building local capacity to use evidence to develop inclusive and ambitious long-term climate action plans that support the aims of the Paris Agreement. The cities are being supported to model future emission trajectories, set reduction targets, and assess the impacts of mitigation actions to develop robust and ambitious climate action plans.
We are also supporting the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to deliver technical support to cities in the development of their Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs) and Green City Action Plans (GCAPs). A link to EBRD press release of the launch events is available here.
Our practical expertise is also recognised internationally, with our support to a number of countries in developing and implementing their Nationally Determined Contributions and, and through our work to develop technical guidance such as the NDC Quick Start Guide and working group activities as part of the Initiative for Climate Action Transparency mitigation guidance series.
We have a strong track record supporting cities to understand their climate hazards, identifying appropriate adaptation actions, communicating climate change risks and impacts to a range of stakeholder groups, and monitoring and evaluating climate change actions that cities are undertaking, including:
- Leading the Adaptation Strategies in European Cities (ASEC) project for the European Commission, providing capacity building and assistance for cities in developing and implementing an adaptation strategy. We engaged with the twenty-one cities that directly participated in the project as peers, trainees and adaptation pilots, setting an example for other cities in EU-27.
- Supporting the Turkish Republic Ministry of Environment and Urbanisation to implement a national strategy to adapt to climate change and establish resilient cities by piloting, in the City of Bursa, a program to build capacity and skills to develop a city-level climate change adaptation strategy, and to develop a Climate Adaptation Support Package (CASP).
- Working with the 100 Resilient Cities (100RC) program on monitoring and evaluation, supporting the development of metrics to monitor and evaluate the long-term progress and impacts of building resilience in 24 participating cities over a 5-year timeframe with in depth evaluation for a number of cities.
- Assessing vulnerabilities and adaptation options, supporting countries’ national adaptation plan (NAP) processes, linking NAP processes to implementation and formulation of adaptation goals in nationally determined contributions (NDCs) and to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), horizontal (sectoral) and vertical integration, economic analysis, and procuring adaptation finance.