Industry-leading support for effectively measuring and classifying nanomaterials
Following on from an initial consultation study for the Department for Transport, Ricardo scientists developed a mobile, on-site calibration service for measuring nanoparticle numbers, size and concentration (per cubic centimetre). This UKAS-accredited service reduces our customers' instrument downtime and strengthens their technical capability within the market.
In addition to our measurement services, we supported the European Commission in reviewing the environmental impact of nanomaterials. Feeding into policy development and implementation, our team of technical specialists provides valuable insight on material hazards and risks to address gaps in environmental policy.
Our pioneering work with industry and the European Commission is shaping the criteria against which future regulation will be defined. This makes Ricardo uniquely positioned to provide the specialist advice and support needed to manage the full life-cycle of nanomaterial measurement, responsible care and occupational health, and to comply with emerging regulations successfully. Ricardo has also been supporting international governments to develop practical regulations that control the risks of nanomaterial release to the environment.
Full life-cycle regulatory support and guidance
From particulate characterisation, technical calibration and risk assessments, right through to regulatory compliance, our in-house team of cross-disciplinary experts can provide the expertise needed to help you:
- Prepare and comply with existing and emerging regulation and legislative standards.
- Maintain a safe working environment for employees.
- Responsibly manage the production, handling and disposal of nanomaterials.
- Avoid the cost of non-compliance.
With experts in chemical risk, waste management and industrial pollution control, Ricardo can provide specialist support in the technical and practical aspects of supply and transport regulations. Our nanomaterials services are described below.
Measuring and monitoring
- UKAS-accredited calibration and measurement services:
- Calibration of solid particle measurement systems.
- Calibration of particle number counters individually or as part of a dilution system.
- Particle mapping (spatial and temporal particle distributions).
- Particle abatement (strategies, processes and solutions).
Health and safety
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH).
- Safe handling.
- Occupational health.
- Hazard and risk assessment.
- Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & restriction of CHemicals (REACH) services.
- Risk assessment.
- Material characterisation.
- Techno-economic support for compliance decisions.
- Legislative horizon scanning to inform current activities and future investment planning.