Integrated energy resource planning
Ricardo has expertise in the business and technical issues involved in connecting
renewable and conventional energy technologies into existing energy networks - whether large hydropower schemes, conventional thermal power stations or dispersed generation projects (such as wind farms and
We provide world-leading
smart-grid solutions to optimise connections and network performance. Our power sector planning support includes:
- Least-cost generation expansion planning studies.
- Appraising heat and electricity generation projects from conventional fuels (such as coal and oil) and renewable energy sources (such as wind, hydro, solar and biomass).
- Electricity system planning (generation, trasmission and distribution).
- Master planning/integrated resource planning (IRP) studies.
- Supply/demand forecasting (including consideration of deman-side management).
- Power system operations support - generation scheduling, automatic generation control, operating reserves, ancillary services, frequency control, under frequency load shedding, governor control, technical training and smart grids.
- Energy investment analysis.
- Utility asset planning and optimisation.
- Rural electrification - design of funding and tariff mechanisms, and commercial arrangements.
- Needs-assessment study on energy efficiency proposals in Souther African Power Pool (SAPP) - reviewing, identifying and prioritising energy efficiency measures to be implemented at a regional level to address capacity contraints.
- Amaila Falls Hydropelectric Project in Guyana - undertaking market due dilligence, operational aseessment and financial due dilligence for a potential investor.
- Eskom power stations in South Africa - this proect involved providing training for Eskom engineers on frequency control, voltage control, governor modelling and automatic voltage regulator (AVR) modelling, followed by testing units and developing governor and AVR models for Eskom coal-fired units.