Delivering long-term climate change mitigation
Ricardo Energy & Environment has expertise in all stages of developing and implementing
mitigation plans and policies. We have technical in-house experts who specialise in a wide range of sectors, including energy supply and efficiency, transport, waste, industry, agriculture and forestry.
Our expertise is informed by our support to intended nationally determined contribution development in more than 15 countries and we are helping a number of countries to implement their nationally determined contributions, including through developing sectoral mitigation action plans. This gives us the insights to help you overcome the barriers to implementation, and to develop a robust and effective long-term mitigation strategy.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has experience in all elements of mitigation planning and NAMA
- Assessing policy delivery options, based on sector specific approaches and impacts (for example, standards, fiscal measures and carbon markets).
- Providing advice on design issues, including sector and GHG coverage, choice of regulated entity and interactions with existing policies.
- Evaluating competitiveness impacts and ‘carbon leakage’.
- Making recommendations on governance arrangements to ensure delivery of policy outcomes.
Funding for NAMAs
- Reviewing funding options (for example, technical assistance, loans, grants and public-private partnerships).
- Matching with donor priorities and supporting funding applications.
MRV for NAMAs
- Analysing existing data processes and structures.
- Suggesting indicators for tracking progress in policy implementation.
- Capacity building on policy evaluation.
- Design of common technical requirements for NAMA MRV for Chile; design of coordinating institutions and processes; and national and international communication of the resulting framework.
- Analysed the opportunities for abatement to 2030 in the major carbon dioxide (CO2) emitting industrial sectors for the UK Committee on Climate Change.
- EU Transport GHG Mitigation: Routes to 2050 – examined potential levels of emissions reduction needed from the transport sector with an assessment of the feasibility, effectiveness, and costs and co-benefits of demand-side and supply-side mitigation options.
- Strengthened Vietnam’s capacity to develop and implement an appropriate GHG Mitigation Action Plan through a pilot programme for the cement sector.